BATTLE ON THE BORDER
The Battle commenced at the request of Cycling Queensland after the Sunshine Coast Tour was cancelled in 2004. Together with the Tweed Shire Council and New South Wales Police, under the guidance of Stan Brims and Greg Bateson the first Battle (as named by Griff Davies) included a four stage tour with 312 riders. Over the years the Battle has operated in various sites including Salt, Murwillumbah, Stokers Siding, Tumbulgum and grown to a maximum field in 2015 of 710 riders and remains a tour of two road races, individual time trial and criterium. In 2012 the Battle welcomed Women NRS (National Road Series) and then in 2013 welcomed the Men's NRS teams. The Battle remains dedicated to promoting tough tour racing for Juniors, Elite, Women and Masters racers.
The Battle on the Border is the leading cycling festival on the East Coast of Australia by offering courses that are tailored to challenge competitive and social participants and establishing the Tweed region as a premier cycling destination.
Mission Statement for 2016
Our mission is to provide a first class cycling experience through a Racing Tour which promotes challenging racing on rural, coastal, and resort courses without the frills, and Social Rides which offer a social riding program supporting riders wishing to be part of the Battle atmosphere but who wish to enjoy courses of varying distances and demands.
The Battle on the Border Cycling Festival missions are derived from achieving the following core brand values that are consistent with the event's success.
In order to transmit these values to all involved, QSMSports adheres to the values of:-
- Professionalism by providing high quality advice, services and safety standards through qualified staff and highly trained volunteers.
- Efficiency by using resources responsibly and cost-effectively and by being proactive.
- Responsiveness by meeting the requirements of stakeholders, sponsors, locals and participants.
- Mutual respect by treating everyone equally, with respect and courtesy.
- Inclusiveness by welcoming everyone willing to participate in the event.
Please note: full course details and event program will be launched following council and event approvals.